Weapon & Firearm Information
Handgun Purchase Permits/Registrations
These are available from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as well as Wednesday from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (excluding holidays). Proof of citizenship and Taylor residency are required.
When you bring your firearm into the police department, the weapon must be unloaded, with the action open, and in a gun case. Do not conceal the weapon on your person, even if you have a valid concealed weapons permit. Upon entering the building, check in the front desk for further instructions.
Requirements to Obtain a License to Purchase (LTP):
- 18 years of age (to purchase from a private citizen in Michigan) or 21 (to purchase from a federally licensed dealer).
- All applicants will have a clearance check completed, regardless of the number of times they have applied in the past.
- Must not be otherwise legally prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm (i.e. felony conviction; assault conviction).
- Must pass the State of Michigan gun safety examination with a score of at least 70 percent.
- There is no fee for a License to Purchase (LTP). One permit is needed for each weapon.
- United States citizen or Resident Legal Alien (must show I-551 card).
- Valid identification showing a Taylor residential address - not a P.O. Box.
Concealed Weapons Permit
Obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) packet at the Taylor Police Department or any Police Department, Sheriff Department or Wayne County Clerk’s Office. Further questions should be directed to the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department at 734-721-2222.
Requirements to Obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL):
- All applicants must bring a Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification Card and Birth Certificate or Passport.
- All other requirements may be found in the Michigan Concealed License Application Kits which are available in our lobby 24 hours a day or in our Records Bureau during our posted business hours.
- Concealed Pistol License: All CPL requests are handled by the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department. Applications are available online at the Wayne County Sheriff website or at the front desk of the Police Department.
- Must be a resident of Taylor.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States citizen or Resident Legal Alien who has resided in Michigan for at least six months.
- Upon completion of all the requirements, the CPL application will be processed by Wayne County.
Release of Firearms
Firearms cannot be released to persons with felony conviction records. Persons picking up handguns must provide a valid gun registration for those weapons at the time of release. In case of weapons confiscated as a result of a domestic violation, the owner must obtain a letter signed and notarized by all parties involved in the incident. In the event a letter cannot be obtained, the owner must obtain a court order mandating the release of those weapons.
All property must first be authorized for release by the officer in charge of the case. Any questions regarding release of property may be directed to the Property Unit at 734-374-4061.
Safe Keeping of Firearms
The Taylor Police Department has very limited space for property storage; this includes firearms. Requests to store firearms are strongly discouraged due to the limited storage space. Firearms also need to be maintained to prevent deterioration from rust, and the Police Department does not provide that service. The better course of action is to store them in a safe location that is accessible to you for maintenance.